Diabetic patients must be very cautious about their regular diet. Read this article to know fruits and vegetables for diabetes.
People suffering from Diabetes or High blood sugar levels must be very cautious about their regular diet, which must be low in carbohydrates, and high in protein, vitamins and minerals. For most of the diabetics, it is tough to control the blood sugar levels, as there is hardly any food totally devoid of carbohydrates. It is advisable for the diabetics to include fiber rich food items in their daily diet that will supply the required energy without altering the blood sugar levels. Obesity is one of the vital causes of diabetes, so a high fiber diet also helps in controlling the body weight.
Check out these related articles, too:
Fruits and Vegetables for Diabetics
The regular diet of the diabetics must include fair amounts of fruits and vegetables. These are not only rich in fiber, but are loaded with vitamins and minerals, which are essential for the body. Many diabetics are often in confusion, while choosing the right fruits and vegetables that will help in maintaining the normal blood glucose levels. Most tend to avoid fruits, as they are rich in fructose. But a balanced diet consisting of everything is harmless for the diabetics and they can enjoy every kind of fruit, provided they are consumed in right proportions. Processed, refined and canned foods must be totally excluded from the diet.
1. Vegetables consisting of leafy greens are rich in fiber and vitamins, which help in controlling the blood sugar levels and also reduces the pangs of hunger. Whole grains, pulses, sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, beans, spinach, lettuce, peas etc. are most beneficial for the diabetics. The fiber rich diet not only regulates the blood sugar level, but also reduces the blood cholesterol level.
2. Vegetables like potato, yams, beet roots, corns and cassava are rich in carbohydrates, so these can be avoided or taken in very small amounts occasionally.
3. Sea weeds and sea fishes are highly beneficial for the diabetics, and these can also be included in the regular diet.
4. Fruits with high fiber, like nuts are beneficial for the diabetic patients. Almonds, walnuts and peanuts are some of the nuts that can be taken by the diabetics.
5. Fruits mainly contain fructose, which does not require insulin for its metabolism. So these can be taken in restricted amounts. Fruits like grape fruit, apple, avocado, grapes, guava and citrus fruits are ideal for the diabetics. Fruits rich in Vitamin C are must for the diabetics.
6. Juicy fruits are recommended for the diabetics as they are of high water content.
7. Fruits with high sugar content like mangoes, bananas, custard apple can be avoided or taken in small amounts.
8. Fruit juices available in the market must be strictly avoided, as these are devoid of the fiber and contain lots of added sugar.
Source: Free Guest Posting Articles from ArticlesFactory.com